Here's my list of songs currently on my ipod for when my 'savage breast' (or should that be 'beast') needs soothing! Music helps me avoid food as a self soothe!
1. Moon River - Andy Williams
2. Sarah McLachlan - pretty much anything
3. No Frontiers - The Corrs
4. High Flying Adored - Evita
5. Adagio for Strings - Barber
6. Bach (Unaccompanied Cello Suite No 1 - Prelude) - Yo Yo Ma
7. For the Beauty of the Earth - John Rutter (The Cambridge Singers)
8. Nimrod - Elgar
9. Sunshine on Leith - The Proclaimers
10. Daydream in Blue - I Monster
Some of these tracks were anchored in the pain of the past, but when I choose to listen mindfully, I find I am able to hear the soothing aspect of the music itself, not what I have learned to attach to them. Sometimes I listen mindfully so that it is:
1) The one thing I am doing at that moment
2) I focus on just noticing and describing what I hear
3) I don't judge myself for any difficult feelings that may arise
4) I let go of any distracting thoughts or feelings about the past or future and Listen!