Friday 10 January 2014

My DBT Inspirational Playlist

For times when I need to be lifted up spiritually or emotionally, I have my 'Moments' playlist - most of which seem to have a musical key change at some point.... could be part of the musical methodology or just 'a thing'. What amazes me about music as a tool in my DBT arsenal, is how quickly it helps me to both soothe and change problem emotions:

1. Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Rachmaninov

2. One Moment in Time - Whitney Houston

3. Stronger (What doesn't kill you) - Kelly Clarkson

4. Beneath Your Beautiful - Labrinth

5. Shadows Fall - The Proclaimers

6. Welcome to my World - Jim Reeves

7. L'inverno (Winter) The Four Seasons - Vivaldi

8. No More Tears (Enough is Enough) - Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer

9. Don't Bring me Down - ELO

10. Zadok the Priest - Handel


Diversity and emotional range of music is good - I've found that when I immerse myself in these songs they help me 'gird my emotional loins' and remind me that emotions can change, even if they feel like they might totally overwhelm me and they feel like they will last forever. My biggest obstacle to use these skills? My fear that the waves of emotion will overwhelm me - as I've practised the DBT skills of Distress Tolerance and Self Soothing (using Mindfulness and trying to use my five senses to root myself in the moment) I've learned that despite how I feel - feelings and memories have not yet killed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment