Saturday 28 September 2019

Finding the Words

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?' (W Shakespeare, Sonnet 18) or how on earth do I describe you? Finding the right words is an essential skill in trying to identify for ourselves and articulate to others, the deepest hidden feelings, experiences and thoughts. Too often when it is a problem, we find ourselves inside the 'belljar'. Locked away. One of my often repeated phrases when I was most in distress and struggling to get help, was 'I am inside my own head, screaming. No one can hear'.

That is why I found the Emotion Regulation module of DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) so helpful. I started to learn how to first identify the individual feelings from the morass of turbulent, violent waves of panic, anger, fear and self-hatred that used to tumble incessantly through my head. This step was the crucial first one towards learning how to manage the power and frequency of such self destructive and exhausting experiences. That's where having the time and safety to find and express what is going on inside is so important to begin to manage the fast cycling moods I so often experienced.


There has been a constant debate since I was first diagnosed - given the label 'Borderline Personality Disorder' (BPD) - in 2011 about what to call the clusters of symptoms and behaviour patterns which I exhibit. In one sense I don't care, my bigger battle is to find a sense of who I am among the shifting sands of invalidating parenting, my own confused sense of the world and the relationship difficulties this led to. However there are times when I am jealous of other sufferers who have a vernacular with an agreed understanding of their diagnoses: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression. There are always disagreements caused by stereotypes/stigma. Getting passed the minimising attitudes which get in the way of educating people about the real impact of Mental Illness is an ongoing struggle to get beyond the surface meaning of the diagnosis.

For those of us who have the complex roots both biologically and socially of emotional dysregulation, our diagnosis rarely, if at all offers any real language of understanding our experiences. We have gone through a number of versions: Emotionally Sensitive PD, Emotionally Unstable PD. Today I read of the World Health Organisation latest attempt to give us a workable diagnosis: Mild, Moderate, Severe Personality Disorder, with sub classes related to things such as experience of complex trauma, obsessive compulsivity, detachment, dissociation and disinhibition. This to me is a more positive move forward in giving a shared language between sufferer and professional to help explain the main areas where I have problems in life.


However, as with all diagnoses there is the problem of individualised responses to words and language: where I impose on them judgements and assumptions based on my personal experience and history. So, for some people being told that their condition is 'mild' may create some problems which makes them feel 'less than'. Whether we like it or not, there is a reality born of experience which tells me that words, like 'severe', 'acute', 'urgent' bring with them the resources I may feel I am in desperate need of.

I don't care in my moment of crisis where I sit in terms of others who may be more 'severe' than me. My fear becomes, if you give me the label 'mild' or 'moderate' then it follows that will not be given the help I feel I need until I prove to you I am 'severe'. In many ways this has always been an issue with perceived PD 'problem behaviour'. In reality if every team working with people like me is adequately and appropriately trained and resourced to provide the right level of intervention for me, then I can be reassured and given the right level of intervention for my needs - in theory.

It is good to work towards clarity of diagnosis, but, for me, the priority must be the reassurance that if I am given this diagnosis then it follows that I will then receive the appropriate level of help I need to learn to manage my condition.

"Personality disorders will no longer be classified categorically, but rather using dimensions of severity—mild, moderate, or severe.1 An additional category of personality difficulty will be demarcated not as a disorder, but as the equivalent of a z-code in ICD-10—ie, a non-disease factor that affects health status and encounters with health services. Following assessment of severity, clinicians will then have the option of specifying one or more of five domain trait qualifiers: negative affectivity, anankastia, detachment, dissociality, and disinhibition. ICD-11 will include new guidance for personality disorders to be diagnosed during childhood, albeit with caution, as they had previously been “inappropriately set at late adolescence or early life adult life”.1 Additionally, the revision will include a borderline pattern qualifier that is not dissimilar to the symptom profiles outlined in ICD-10 and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder, 5th edition." (From the Lancet - Problems with the ICD-11 classification of Personality Disorders - Jay Watts - June 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment